Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sewing Class: Messenger Bag - Simplicity 8028, View D

I took my first sewing class of 2016!  Through this project, I accomplished one of my 2016 sewing goals - inserting a zipper.  We were working on a Simplicity 8028, View D, Messenger Bag.  It was a 3.5 hour class.  This was a neat little project.  It was a very good thing that I took an in-person class at JoAnn's. I don't think I would have gotten the instructions that were included with the pattern.  I really liked the instructor, Terri Tipps.  I have taken 2 classes with her in the past, and she is a true gem.

However, it was the first time that I have sewn all year, so I was a little rusty.  First of all, I had a hard time finding the pattern. I checked earlier in the week, but they were all out at Hancock's.  Due to time constraints, I only about 2 hours before class to buy my supplies.  As luck would have it, my local JoAnn's where the class was being held was also out of the pattern.  So, I had to go to Hobby Lobby.  Luckily, they had the pattern, and I bought some fashion (duck) fabric for the outside of the bag.  I had to purchase the interfacing, strap, and hardware for the bag.  I chose not to get interlining because the outer material was very heavy.  I went into class flustered, stressed, and unprepared.  At JoAnn's, the cutting table and checkout lines were horrible, so I spent 20 minutes of class time making purchases.  However, Terri got of all us started. I didn't have time to read the instructions, so I was really relying on Terri (who was, of course, fantastic).  The supply sheet that JoAnn's gave us was inaccurate. So, when I was about to cut my interfacing, I didn't have enough.  So I spent another 15-20 minutes at the cutting table line and checkout line during class time.

Suffice it to say, I didn't completely finish my project during class time.  However, but I was about 85% done when the class time ended.  I was able to make my pockets, make my tabs, insert the D-rings into the tabs, insert my zipper, and attach the lining to the bag.

One more mishap happened during class: my needle broke as I was attaching my lining to the bag as I was going over the D-ring.  The needle caught me in the thumb.  I didn't want to bleed on my new bag, so I was essentially finished by that point.  Terri pinned my material and strap for me to finish up at home.

Here are some images of my finished project. I made my strap a little bit longer than recommended.


Here is Terri's sample of the messenger bag. It looks very professional!

This was sort of an expensive project, but I bought some extra interfacing for my home studio.  Here is the price breakdown:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm taking this class this weekend and am still trying to figure out what fabric to buy. Hopefully my bag turns out as well as yours does!

    ReplyDelete