Sunday, February 1, 2015

Project: See & Sew B5411 Half Apron

See & Sew: B5411 - Half Apron

Purpose: I want to make this for a very good friend.  She called 911 for me when I had the stroke.  She lives in Minneapolis, and she called 911 from there.  She likes to bake, even for business trips. I thought that she can take it with her when she is away from home.  She is coming for a visit on Thursday, Jan 29, 2015. I will finish by then.
Timeline: 
Dec 22, 2014 - I began this project around Christmas.  I prepped the pattern, pinned the pattern pieces, cut out the pattern, made a pocket, and sewed the edge of the apron.  It took 2 hours to accomplish this.  Then, I realized that I sewed the edges of the apron incorrectly; the raw scalloped edges were showing.

Gathering the waistband
Jan 25, 2015 - I resumed the project this past Sunday.  I removed the erroneous portion and re-sewed the correct way.  I was very pleased with the outcome!  I also gathered the waist. I was confused about how to attach the waistband to the apron.  I will continue to research this task.
Jan 27, 2015 -  I worked on sewing the waistband to the apron, hiding the raw edges of the gathering.  I tried 3 times, but I couldn't get it right.  I will continue tomorrow!
Jan 28, 2015 - I sewed the waistband and started the ties.  I put in 3 hours of work.  I skipped the pleats because I couldn't figure out the instructions.

Sewing the waistband
Jan 29, 2015 -  I completed the apron (2 hours). I took pictures, and I am very pleased the quality.  I noticed that the ends of the apron were 2 different lengths.  I compared against the pattern. I realized the problem.  Skipping the pleats caused the length discrepancy.  No matter!  My friend loved it!

The Finished Product


3 comments:

  1. How did you finally sew your waistband I am struggling to get it on there right. Haven't worked on it for weeks because of it.
    Thank you.
    sincerely,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having trouble with the waistband as well. Anyone figure it out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having trouble with the waistband as well. Anyone figure it out?

    ReplyDelete